SustainableWA is a movement, not an organisation! It is a name and a brand for connecting the growing numbers of people, communities and organisations within our society who are working to:
- protect and rebalance ecological systems;
- build peaceful, participatory and just communities;
- seek accountability from our politicians and decision-makers;
- promote secure and meaningful economic livelihoods for all, particularly the poor; and
- protect the fundamental human rights of all people – to name just a few examples.
Stewardship of SustainableWA and some of its activities are supported by a not-for-profit organisation.
We believe the right technologies and policies already exist to create a more sustainable society, and even better ones are to come. Given the seriousness and urgency of climate change alone ( a core sustainability challenge), the question arises… ‘ Why they are not being taken up with the speed and enthusiasm our society and planet requires? ’ .
If we are to become the most sustainable society for the world, effective leadership and organisation is vital. We need greater leadership from more people, and a coordinated effort to hasten the social change that is already happening. We need greater collaboration among those already acting AND we need to encourage others to add their voice and support.
We need to bring the sustainability movement to such visibility and prominence so that living sustainability is quite simply a shared cultural value in our society. A fundamental belief that citizens, organisations and politicians share and cannot help but live out in their daily lives and decision-making.